By Heather Patton, MD, FAASLD
Member of AASLD MOC Committee and Speaker, MOC Update Session
AASLD is committed to helping you earn credits for licensure renewals and points for Maintenance of Certification (MOC) through activities you already engage in for continued learning. In that spirit, AASLD will offer American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) and American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) MOC for aspects of the Liver Meeting that have been consistently popular with attendees, such as the Postgraduate Course. Below you will find a list of the specific sessions (see table), types of MOC offered and how the points are claimed. (Please note: This information is also listed on page 6A of the Final Program Book, which you will obtain at the meeting.)
To earn MOC points participants must:
- Attend the session(s) for which MOC is offered
- Claim CME for the session(s)
- Complete the online MOC evaluation (For the annual meeting sessions, the MOC evaluations are embedded as an additional step inside the CME evaluation. For the Postgraduate Course, the MOC evaluation is available in LiverLearning via a pop-up link in the CME evaluation).
AASLD submits points on behalf of its learners to ABIM and ABP (so once you have completed the above three steps, you will receive MOC credits).
The Postgraduate Course is the only session at the Liver Meeting that qualifies for American Board of Pediatrics (ABP) MOC points. You must attend the entire course (claim the max CME) and complete the MOC evaluation for 6.0 ABP MOC points. The maximum available MOC points for the ABIM is based on which session(s) you attend. Note that points (and CME credits) can’t be claimed for sessions occurring at the same time. The 2018 Postgraduate Course will be the only session of the Liver Meeting for which MOC points may be earned through online enduring materials for those who are unable to attend the meeting. All the other sessions listed in the table are only available for CME/MOC credits to those who have attended these sessions during the 2018 Liver Meeting.
Please keep in mind these important deadlines:
- To claim ABP Points for 2018, you must complete the CME evaluations no later than December 1, 2018.
- To claim ABIM points for 2018, you must complete the CME evaluations no later than December 14, 2018.
- MOC evaluations will remain available until March 15, 2019. Requests after that date will not be honored. It is recommended that you complete MOC evaluations at the same time you claim your CME for efficiency and to avoid missing the window to claim MOC points.
If you have any questions or need assistance:
- Please attend the MOC Update Session where Dr. Helen Te and I will be giving talks on navigating MOC requirements and tips for gathering MOC points through the AASLD. See day and time in schedule below and star it in your Meeting App (Bonus: You will earn up to 1.5 ABIM MOC points by attending this session!).
- See AASLD staff at the TechBar located in the Pavilion during the meeting
- Visit the The Liver Meeting’s Continuing Education webpage for instructions and a direct link to the 2018 TLM CME/MOC evaluation during and following the meeting.
- Visit LiverLearning’s Accredited Activities section to access MOC activities offered by AASLD including the 2018 Postgraduate Course when it is available.
- Before or after the meeting, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, Director, Training and MOC.
- Talk directly to the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) staff at Booth 744 in the Exhibit Hall.
|Course/ Session||Session Time||ABIM MOC Points|
|TOTAL||Up to 13.75|
4:30 pm – 6:30 pm
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
|Combine Organ Transplant (Surgery and Liver Transplant Committee and SIG Joint Program)||Saturday|
9:00 am – 3:30 pm
|Thomas E. Starzl Transplant Surgery |
9:30 am – 10:00 am
|General Hepatology Update||Sunday|
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
|Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Update||Sunday|
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
|Value-based Medicine in Hepatology||Sunday|
2:00 pm – 4:00 pm
|Advances for Practitioners||Monday|
10:30 am – 12:30 pm
|Leon Schiff State-of-the-Art Lecture||Tuesday|
10:30 am – 11:00 am